Re: Kernel Panic: "initrd" ?

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 02:09:23PM -0800, Alex Goldman wrote:
> My self-compiled kernel refuses to boot, saying it can't
> mount/init/access /dev/hda7 (root partition)
>
> I compiled 2.6.14.2 following the instructions in
> /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz, basically
>
> cp /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386 linux-2.6.14.2/.config
> make menuconfig (few ACPI-related changes relative to /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386)
> make-kpkg clean
> fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
>
> Just like the stock kernel, it has
>
> CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
> CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
>
> Any idea what could be wrong?
>
> The README mentions that something related to initrd in a very obscure
> manner, but I don't really encourage doing anything related to it, and
> IMO applying patches to kernels newer than the patches is risky at
> best.

The problem is that you are using the Debian kernel config without
builing an initrd, for that you need to supply --initrd as well as an
option to make-kpkg

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 --initrd kernel_image

The Debian configuration relies on being able to mount the initrd and
load modules from there in order to mount the root filesystem. It's
not enoug to just support the EXT2 filesystem statically in the
kernel, the kernel also need to find drivers for you harddrive (IDE,
SCSI etc). So either you make sure all those drivers are in the
kernel, or build as modules and put in an initrd (the Debian way).

/Daniel