Re: Linux crashing often

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Alex Goldman wrote:

> 1. ran memtest86 for 15 minutes, it found no errors (I think the whole
> test  suite may take hours)

that is typically a waste of time, since you cannot do anythign else
whiles is bz pretending to diag your system ( that used to work )

> 2. ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null, which finished without errors

reading from a system that shows problems is a bad idea, in that
it may aggrevate the problem

or can can show you can read, like you were able to do, murphy is on your
side this time

> 3. tried to run fsck on /home, but it doesn't do anything useful, just
> returns immediately, saying the file system (ext3) is "clean"

umount /home
e2fsck /dev/home	whatever partition number /home was
	- it should take a few seconds and longer if you have it populated

> 4. tried to remount / read-only to run fsck on it too, but "/ is
> busy", and even then it's also ext3, so fsck probably wouldn't be
> useful

use a standalone disk ( cd ) if you don't want to wipe out your disk

> QUESTIONS:
> How long is memtest86 supposed to take per Gig?

waste of time ...

> How to test other hardware, especially the hard drive, motherboard?

one at a time

since the machine can survive the night in idle...
you probably have:
	- bad cables
	- bad cpu fan or loose heatsink
	- bad power supply
	- or memory stick that is running hot
	( your case fans is missing or dying or dead )

> How to perform useful checks on ext3?

e2fsck /dev/whatever .. but you have to be running from a standalone cd
or something other OS other tnan the one (disk)  you are trying to test

> How to fsck the root partition? I can't remount it ro, because it's busy.

nothing special about "root"  vs /var, /home, /usr ...
or whatever you did to the fs

c ya
alvin