Re: Alsa card activation order

On November 20, 2005 04:54 pm, Heimdall Midgard wrote:
> I can think of two ways to fix the problem. But I want to know the
> Debian Way(tm).
>
> My problem is simple. I have two sound "cards" in my computer. But I
> want my onboard sound to be the first sound card recognized by Alsa
> in both its /dev/dsp* (OSS emulation) and /dev/snd/pcm* (Alsa proper)
> incarnations.
>
> What files in /etc/ do I need to edit to set the card activation
> order of my two sound cards ?
>
> --
> Albert Einstein: Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist
> begrenzt.

If using a 2.6 kernel then in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory check to
see where the alias is set on my install it is the sound file. Edit the
file to look similar to this.

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=1

Changing the drivers to match your install putting the onboard sound
module in the lines with 0 in them and your pci card module in the
lines with 1. Now when booting modutils will process the file and the
drivers should be loaded in the correct order. If using a 2.4 kernel
then check in the /etc/modutils/aliases file and see if that is where
your sound card is being set. If so then add the couple of lines for
the second card and make sure your onboard is set to the 0 then run
update-modules to have the new information entered in
the /etc/modules.conf for use on next boot if not then check the other
files to see where it is located and make the changes there.

Stephen

--
Debian the choice of a GNU generation

GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc