Re: Debian installation cannot see the partition table

Hi,

On 11/19/05, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Recently I have reinstalled windows on my machine. As you know it is
> normal the windows overwrites the MBR after that.
>
> I tried to reinstall the grub loader on MBR from Debian Sarge CD.
>
> But during the installation process (at partitioning table phase), I am
> not able to see the partitions of my first hard disk. It can just show
> the partitions of my second hard disk.

What does it show for the first hard disk (/dev/hda)?

It should be /dev/hda.

Does it show an
empty partition table?

It shows no partition.

  Does it show just one large partition utilizing
the entire disk?  If you reinstalled Windows on the hard drive then
Windows, by default, overwrites the partition table, as you said, and
creates a single partition taking up the entire disk which it then
installs itself in.

I reinstalled the windows in one partition of the first disk and not the full disk. There is another partition with debian in the first disk as well, but
as I have said, I cannot see them during the debian installation.

> The windows and debian are installed in the first hard disk, but it
> looks as if no partition exist on my first hard disk.

Is it actually no partition, or is it one large partition.  See above.

> How can I solve it ? How can I see the partitions of my first hard disk?

If Windows overwrote the drive to install itselfe then you probably will
not be able to get back anything that had been on the drive before the
install unless you backed it up first.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com