Re: security issues

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:05:39 +0000
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> I don't think the attacker gained access, but I would like some sort
> of mechanism that would cause the OS to email me whenever someone
> logs in - which is going to be less than once a day.

Take a look at the programs logwatch and logcheck. Both are available
via apt and should do what you want.

This is a fairly common SSH brute force attack. As long as you have
secure usernames and passwords you are probably OK. However this attack
IS annoying and it's not going to stop any time soon. You may want to
look at authenticating SSH with shared keys and disable password
authentication all together. If that is not an option, set up PAM and
PAM_TALLY to temporarily disable accounts after a number of failed
login attempts.

Remember...we're all in this together.

Good Luck,
--