Re: Changing default runlevels

Scott wrote:

I've gathered Debian starts in run level 2 and from there X is started.

How do I change the setting so that when I log in I don't go any further
than a shell and if I want ex  I just type "startx" and enter?

I don't know why but Debian seems to be more cryptic when it comes to
this and it's run levels are odd compared with other linux distros.

I was browsing through /etc/inittab and found

"# Runlevel 0 is halt.
# Runlevel 1 is single-user.
# Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
# Runlevel 6 is reboot."

So 2-5 are multi-user and I've gathered 2 is the defualt for running X.
So then, can if I change it to 3, 4 or 5 will X not start then?
Debian ships with runlevels 2 - 5 identical; it is up to the system administrator to do what he wills with the runlevels.

As a general rule, if you don't want X to start automatically on boot-up, you can either disable, or uninstall, the relevant login manager (xdm, kdm, gdm, or wdm).

--
Kent