Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2005 #2734

> jpg wrote:
> > Migrating from lpr to cups, and can't get past square 1.
> >
> > Have read reams of docs
> > Downloaded latest bits off of sourceforge.
.
.
.

> > System - Debian 3.1
> > Kernel - 2.6.12.2
>
> step by step:
>
> - install cups on the server
> - set up printer on server (eg. web front end)
> - allow printing on server for your workstation (config file or gui)
> - install cups on client; here debian defaults work for me.
>
> I had some problems trying to set up with the guis myself. It's really
> more simple and convenient to use the config-files and web front end.
>
> We use the standard config files on the workstations and just add/change
> the folling lines in /etc/cups/cups.conf on the server:
>
>  > BrowseAddress 192.168.0.255
>  > BrowseAllow 192.168.0.*
>  > Allow From 192.168.0.*
>  > AuthType None
>  > <Location /printers>
>  > Order Deny,Allow
>  > Allow From 192.168.0.*
>  > AuthType None
>  > </Location>
>
> Modify the subnet to your needs.
>
> Works like charm.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Johannes

Johannes,

Thanks for the reply, however:

> - install cups on the server

Can't, not my server it is the corporate print server not admin'd by me. No
root login and it's a HP-UX 11.11 server. They will not allow cups to be
installed, already asked.

> - set up printer on server (eg. web front end)

I did install the server version of cups on my Debian workstation with the
hopes of direct connecting to the network printers. Followed the docs about
all of the required packages and then to restart the cupsys (i.e
/etc/init.d/cupssy restart), however my Apache sever on my workstation
does not have a port open on 631, therefore the web front end does not
work. No documentation I can find to debug this failure. Probably need
the manual process for setting up cups in Debian, as the 'apt-get install'
does not do it, no errors or warnings. So not sure where it jumped the track.

> - allow printing on server for your workstation (config file or gui)

Once I get the web GUI functioning, maybe this would work; don't know.

> - install cups on client; here debian defaults work for me.

How did you check the defaults? Did you use lpadmin to add printers to your
client? How do you query the print server for available network printers?

Thanks,
John