Re: the Debian way to sync apt-get and aptitude

On 11/10/05, David Kirchner <dpk@dpk.net> wrote:
> Is there a Debian way to sync apt-get and aptitude data files? We just
> had a problem where aptitude decided to [remove] programs that were installed
> by apt-get immediately prior. This is on Sarge stable.

Aptitude tries to keep track of what you installed by hand and what
was installed to satisfy a dependency.  In the latter case, it tries
to clean up packages that it thinks are no longer needed.  This can
cause a headache when you migrate from apt-get to aptitude.  I
recently switched, and expected to have to go through the hassle of
marking everything I wanted to keep.  What I found, however, was that
having already marked things with debfoster, aptitude already knew
what I wanted to keep specifically and what was a dependency.  You
might find debfoster useful for this, as well.  You should be able to
run it after apt-getting a package, and then not get complaints from
aptitude.

Still, you should probably just choose one or the other.  Aptitude can
be run from the command line almost identically to apt-get.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh