Re: ipssend and RaidMan on IBM xSeries

> I have got different IBM server (Netfinity 5000 and xSeries 336) with
> ServeRaid SCSI card controllers.

I've got xSeries 236 - Type 8841

> I would like to manage disks drived by these controllers with the IBM
> software found on CD delivered with the servers.

Same here. :-)

> I am able to run both ipssend and RaidMan (a java GUI). The problem
> is that ipssend find the controller but RaidMan does not.

Hey.. that's  cool. Thanks to your post I located and ran ipssend. :-)

I used Alien to convert the RPM to DEB but I had to manually do a
chmod +x /usr/RaidMan/* to get the scripts to execute. By default they
were set to 644. Also i had to manually extract the jre tgz.
(sun-jre142linux32.tgz) which was located in /usr/RaidMan

> Any idea or link someone (google was not helpful, nor was IBM websites) ?

Well google was helpful for me.
Google led me to your post on the debian user list.

:-)

> Here is the way I start RaidMan as root, since things on the CD are
> prepared only for SuSe and RedHat :
>
> $ modprobe mptctl
> $ java -Djava.compiler=NONE -cp ./RaidMan.jar
> com.ibm.sysmgt.raidmgr.agent.ManagementAgent &
> $ java -Djava.compiler=NONE -cp ./RaidMan.jar
> com.ibm.sysmgt.raidmgr.mgtGUI.Launch

wow.. that's a lot of stuff. All I did was

cd /usr/RaidMan
./RaidMan.sh

And voila .. it showed up.... but it gave an error:
"No controllers were found in this system"

BTW what is mptctl ?

I noticed that when I ran RaidMan.sh the server console popped out the
following message:
======================================
Fusion MPT base driver 2.05.16
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 LSI Logic Corporation
mptbase: 0 MPT adapters found, 0 installed
======================================

BTW... since no one else responded to your post why don't we help each
other out? Two brains is better than one what say?

:-)

I did an lsmod and noticed that a module 'ips' was running...

/lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/drivers/scsi/ips.o

However, this is the one that came along with my Debian sarge
installation. I noticed that there were some files on the IBM support
CD.

linux/scsi/driver/ips-710.tgz

Lets compare notes:

What kernel are you running?
How does one find out which version of ips is being loaded? Maybe
RaidMan needs the latest ips driver module for it to work?

I'm off to find out how to compile a driver for Debian and will return
shortly. :-)

Take care till then.

Regards
--