dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg causing non-working mouse protocol

On sid w/ latest xorg

The message subject is my best understanding at the moment of a problem:

When I do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' the mouse protocol chosen is intellimouse and I can change the mouse device but not the protocol. intellimouse gives a mouse pointer which sits in the upper left corner of the screen and generates troublesome output when moved.

When I edit xorg.conf and change the protocol to ImPS2 the mouse works correctly but when I follow the instructions in xorg.conf to preserve my choice the dpkg-reconfigure changes it back to intellimouse.

TIA for any ideas,

Paul Scott