Re: Remote printing in cups

On 11/14/05, jpg <jpg@hpcvsjpg.cv.hp.com> wrote:
> Migrating from lpr to cups, and can't get past square 1.
>
> Have read reams of docs
> Downloaded latest bits off of sourceforge.
> Gotten ppd for the remote printer.
>
> My setup is this:
>
>  -----------        --------------------        -------------------------
> | Debian wS |  ->  | HP-UX Print Server |  ->  / Networked HP LasterJet /
>  -----------        --------------------        -------------------------
>
> The GUI gnome-cups-add and gnome-cups-manager don't seem to be unable to set
> up remote printing via a remote print server.
>
> Tried direct with lpadmin, however every command fails with can't
> communicate with server I supply after the -h option.
>
> Anybody else done this?
>
> Firm frowns on connecting directly to the network printers, therefore need
> to go through print server?
>
> System - Debian 3.1
> Kernel - 2.6.12.2
>
> thnx,
> -jpg

I've never used gui application for cups, but I do have a mini-lan and
just 1 printer connected to 1 machine while all others connect to it
through the mini-lan (the cups server, some packages are required for
a cups server).

It's easy to set up (believe me pretty easy) if you do it through the
web cups interface.  Read the documentation, it really is pretty
handy.  You then can set the cups clients in the other machines (I use
IP addresses for that).

There's a file to edit in the cups server machine in order to specify
which machines are allowed to print.  Other than that it's pretty
straight forward with the documentation at hand...