Re: Changing file associations in KDE

Alan Chandler wrote:

>I have just started to use Freemind.  This creates mindmap files with the
>extension .mm
>
>I would like kde to associate this extension with Freemind so I click on the
>file and start freemind with it as a parameter.
>
>WHen I do this, despite setting up the extension to be .mm, KDE changes ALL
>text files to do this - obviously not what I want.
>
>Is it possible to tell KDE that files ending in .mm are NOT text files?

My usual method is this:

1. Open Konqueror
2. Find file of type .mm (or whatever)
3. Right-click on file and click "Properties"
4. Click the "Edit File Type" button which is to the right of the
"Type:" line on the resulting screen
5. Edit file name patterns and other options, and select program to open
6. Click "OK" or "Apply" buttons back up to the surface

There are other ways to association files (using mime types and such) in
KDE, but the above method is what works best for me.

Good luck.

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association