Re: Compile problems - how do I know what source to install?

Daniel McBrearty (daniel.mcbrearty@gmail.com) wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up a server that runs sarge, but I get many
> compile errors when trying to do cpan install of some perl modules:
>
>                 from Perl.xs:5:
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE/perl.h:380:30: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE/perl.h:411:19: ctype.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE/perl.h:423:23: locale.h: No such file or directory
>
> Now even I can see that this looks like the standard C lib headers that are not
> being found. But what package do I install to fix it? Or is it a config problem?

There are two ways that I use, I prefer to use the apt-file application which
you can install (aptitude install apt-file or whatever method you use). Read
the docs, remember to do a 'apt-file update' which will download a local
searchable database of while package contains which file. The can you find out
by doing a 'apt-file search sys/types.h' for example. In your case, you will
see that you need to install libc6-dev.

Or, you can go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages, scroll down to
"Search the contents of packages" and enter sys/types.h and get the same
answer.

Hope that helps.

/Daniel