Re: Re: PCI modem suggestions

I have used many Linux distros going back to the mid 90's
Red hat, SuSE, and a few FreeBSD tests as well and for me the use of external modems was for the most part a necessity. Multitech (Mt5600series) was one of the best and still is, also I used external Supra data/fax Modems
and the USR v.everything as well.
But for reasons of desire and neatness I searched pretty hard for a PCI hardware modem that would just work... The one that I am now happy with for almost all of the Linux distros that I have used or made for others is the Zoom 2920 internal PCI hardware Modem It will cost about $80.00 it comes with a 7 year warranty. SuSE Linux 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3 see it as both a V.90 56k flex Agere Systems ( lucent ) Venus Modem... and as an _AT modem._ with Novell/Suse linux 10 it is less functional but then again I think that Novell has fubared SuSE anyway. It is as an AT modem that it works (ttyS14) standard hardware configuration on both Intel and AMD motherboards. I am using it now to send this email. In SuSE Linux it locks on and tenaciously stays connected for days if I forget to disconnect. I have built 20+ computers with this great modem.
Now I am working _hard_ to make it work in debian (sarge).
I have a dual boot Debian (SARGE) and SuSE/novell 9.2 Linux (last great SuSE distro) computer (AMD 3700+ Abit Nvidia MoBO) and I am now well on my way to growing into a debian fanatic for reasons that deal with freedom. I am a newbie to debian and am frustrated at the PCI modem situation. Yes I can use a external... No problem... for me it is the idea of the PCI internal (were I live we truly can't do DSL or cable and the phone is just past two wire telegraph in capabilities) My Western Electric 202- E1 and 634a subset telephone seem to work fine on these phone lines but if I see 8K with the computer I feel like its rockin. :-) I don't know if I must try a new modem Like the USR5610B or move back to a quality external modem or shoot for the moon with space based communications like Directway. Don't know if this helped any but if I get an internal to work I will post again from the debian side.

Michael Crock