SSH X11Forwarding not working - what am I doing wrong.

For a long time now I have been bouncing around between three machines via
ssh.   However up to now that has always been text based.  Whenever I wanted
to use X across the network, I have set it up manually.

However, I increasingly need to regularly use an X program, so thought it
about time I set up X11Forwarding.  One of the machines is a windows laptop
and only ever acts as a the ssh client (using Putty), although it is running
an X-server courtesy of Cygwin.  I have changed the setting on Putty to
request X-forwarding.

The other two machines are running Debian, one Sarge, the other Unstable.  In
both of these I have edited both /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config
to include X11Forwarding.

(Snippet from /etc/ssh/ssh_config)=================================

# Site-wide defaults for various options

Host *
#   ForwardAgent no
ForwardX11 yes

(Snippet from /etc/ssh/sshd_config) ================================

X11Forwarding yes
X11UseLocalhost yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

But nothing is happening.  Firstly, I would have expected on the remote
machine for the DISPLAY variable to have been set to localhost:10.0, but it
is unset, but even if I set it manually, there doesn't seem to be a channel
there (X programs complain they can't connect to the display)

My guess is that there is some other configuration (PAM or something like
that) that I should also be tweaking to allow this.  Anyone any ideas what?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk