Re: kernel-compile-troubleshooting -- help with a howto

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Matt Price wrote:

> I've compiled my own kernel numerous times but am not
> programming-literate; often I wish there was a howto that explained the
> significance of certain common problems that I seem to have over and
> over again.

which problems

>  Haven't found one, though, so thought I'd write my own:

good idea

> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelCompileTroubleshooting
>
> Unfurtunatley, I'm so ignorant,

nah

> I can't really answer my own questions!

nah .. whether it's the right answer or one of many dozen right
answers is the question

> Therefore, I'm asking for help.  I'd like to hear what is
> wrong, misleading, or justp lain missing from this document.

there's already (too many) generic "kernel howto"
	- most address their tidbits the author wanted to cover
	but not other stuff

> Sometimes the standard howto is not enough.

or too much info ( usually the case )

if the target audience are beginners, and if the idea is to simplify
generic kernel compiling, less info is better ?? ( imho )

	#
	# make a script "make-kernel-for-my-box.sh" if compiling
	# a kernel is too much headache .. 99% of all this is scriptable
	#	- the 1% is the actual reboot and see if it works
	#
	cd /usr/local/src
	get the latest kernel from kernel.org
	tar jxvfp linux-latest.tar.bz2
	cd linux-latest

	( optional ) make dep, make clean if you're paranoid
	make bzlilo
		- this assumes the defaults is good enuff for some
		folks that is not paranoid and don't want to fine
		tune this or that

	make install
		- usually installed as /vmlinuz and /System.map
		- mv /vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-latest
		- mv /System.map /boot/System.map-latest
	make modules
	make modules_install
	- cp .config /boot/config-latest
	- update lilo or grub
	- reboot

some minor tweeking ..  ( fixing problems )
 	cd linux-latest
	make xconfig

		- start turning everything off and/or use the default
		from the "help"

		- you will need to make sure your motherboard chipset
		is turned on or as a module in the kernel

		- check and study the output of lspci and find the
		  corresponding kernel option in the kernel config gui

		- figure out which file systems you want to support

	make
	make install

some security tricks .. ( tweeking to minimize buffer overflow risks )

	apply kernel patches to harden the puppy ...

	by this point, you shouldn't be needing a kernel-howto
	other than for the detailed specific security hardening howto

--------

another common problem is xxxx doesn't work, where xxx is
some kind of disk, sound, network problems

	- one has to check which chipset is used ( lspci )
	and turn on that driver in the kernel

another common problem is the modules doesn't install

	- the gcc to use for making and installing the modules have to
	be the same gcc that was used to compile the original kernel
	that is being used/booted

> 1. Compile-time problems
> setting gcc version
>
> GCC is the gnu-c-compiler

playing with gcc is asking for next generation troubles but that's
part of the fun
	- you'd also need to have the proper glibc, bash, /lib
	and other cousins

c ya
alvin