H264; hdtv .ts file playback status!

Well I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with
.ts file playback? I know that mplayer plays them, but on my
system it plays like a slide show, and I keep getting the
famous too many video packets in buffer warning.

According to the mplayer faq, this is a sign of a weak
system, guess my dual amd 1.2's are not up to the challenge.
Does anyone else know what other software will play .ts
files, I know that ffdshow will, but it is questionable of
the quality.

This is not just a Gnu/Linux problem it is also a Windows
problem. .ts files on my Windows amd 2600 XP box is also a
slide show. Regardless of which codec I use, be it
Quicktime, or Media Player. Seems that these codec's are
pretty much crap on even modern hardware, I have heard of
people complaining about their Athlon 64 3700, 4000 playing
like a slide show.

If you through H264 playback into the mix such as Apple's HD
movie demo's, then you know what I mean. It would seem that
their should be a way to speed up H264 and .ts file playback
on modern hardware. I know its kind of moot right now, as
most .ts, HD content is more than an average dvd can hold.
Then if you want to watch it on your dvd player you will
need to down sample it to dvd standards. But since H264 will
be more and more involved in the future, I would assume that
the codec's will get better and better.

Right now most of the information is in various internet
forums, playback seems to really be in development at the
moment.  So if anyone has some good links to some good
information about Gnu/Linux and H264 playback, or decoders,
or encoders I would be appreciate it.

Thanks;

Gnu_Raiz