Re: Many packages missing from testing

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
Joona Kiiski wrote:

Hi!

Now for about two weeks there have been many packages out of testing.
I'm must wondering what's the point? Those missing packages prevent me
from upgrading because there are many among those which I desperatily
need and I don't want to start hacking apt. Wouldn't it be better to
have an unstable version of packages in testing than no version at all!

Okay, you are pros, I'm just a newbie and there must be a good reason
for this, this situation is just irritating. Maybe you could consider
having four versions
of debian in transition phase, like: stable, testing, testing-new,
unstable. And when 99.5% packages would have entered testing-new it
could replace testing. Just an idea, maybe it would just make things
too complicated for developers and maintainers.

Check out this thread.  Some perspectives on the missing packages in
testing...

Ah-ha! I'm glad to see it's a temporary problem. I just installed Debian for the first time this past week and had planned to stick with etch, but wound up with Sid becaue of all the missing packages.

Thanks!

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com