Re: Is Debian ready for the desktop?

On Thursday 10 November 2005 3:39 pm, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Wed November 9 2005 02:24 pm, Ueli Meier wrote:
> > Im thinking of getting Debian Linux, currently I use Mandrake but I need
> > to upgrade.
> > On the web I could not get the Information I was looking for.
> > I read an article that was a bit confusing.
> > It says if you want a Linux Desktop rather use coral Linux or Suse.
> > Check the links.
> > http://www.aboutdebian.com/install31.htm
> > http://www.aboutdebian.com/desktop.htm
> > Is Debian more for server applications, or is it a true Desktop like
> > Suse?
> > Can I access the files on a dos partition?
>
> I use debian for all of the above, and I wouldn't switch to anything else.
> I used to use Mandrake also. Yes, you can read dos FAT,FAT32,NTFS,HPFS and
> many others.

I ran Debian on the desktop for quite a while before switching to Ubuntu.  Why
switch?  Simply because I feel that Ubuntu makes getting linux on the desktop
easier than Debian.  With Debian I was always having weird little problems
with this and that which my limited knowledge prevented me from fixing in a
timely manner but I absolutely love the Debian package system... so I chose
Ubuntu which has been almost flawless on the couple of machines I've
installed on.

Keep in mind, this is only on my desktop and laptop machines... my servers
still run Debian stable and they are rock solid!