Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2005 #2700

> On Wednesday 09 November 2005 07:36, Ueli Meier wrote:
> >Hi
> >Is there anyone who set up a home surveillance system wit Linux?
> >Im thinking of using a normal web-cam and a Laptop computer.
> >What are the requirements?
> >Is there any software that can start record automatically when there is
> >some Movement, and pause when movement stops?
> >Purpose to keep an eye on the fruit trees.
> >
> >Ueli
>
> By the use of heyu and xtend, the latter a monitoring daemon for x10
> traffic, you can do whatever you would need.  Xtend is scriptable.  I
> use those, a cm-11 computer interface from the shack (needs a spare
> serial port) and the eagleeye/hawkeye PIR motion detectors from X10, I
> have the lights on the front of the house controlled.  I change the mode
> 3 times a day with some crontab entrys.
>
> I think the biggest problem might be the laptop, it will need lots of
> spare hd capacity in order to record a whole days activity.  The other
> problem might be the camera.  I have one I was going to use, but gave
> up on it when the video turned out to be so crappy, color balance seems
> to be all greenish yellow & not correctable.  An $80 dollar USB camera,
> only does about 7 frames/second & I wasn't going to put any more money
> into it.  I'd also put another $80 into USB extension cables when I
> found the camera was a POS.  So camera-wise, the old adage about YMMV
> certaily applies.

I like the idea of the motion program. I could not find heyu anywhere.
However I don't have a web-cam yet.
Is there somewhere a list of web-cams that are compatible with linux?
I have a Pentium 650mhz with 128mb ram and about 2gigs of free space.
Could it run motion?
Thanks

Ueli

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
There is no need for that,
I just want to invite my neighbors for a short movie and I guess then
the stealing stops.