Re: Newbie wants to install xvidcap

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:22:30 -0800, Andy Gower wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Frances Fleming <fay@uthink.co.uk> wrote:
> > jerry:~# apt-cache search libavcodec1
> > libavcodec1 - Library to encode decode multimedia streams - runtime files
> > libavcodec1-dev - Library to encode decode multimedia streams - devel files
>
> Good.  Now you can see the package is available.  You have to install it with:
> # apt-get install libavcodec1
>
> > jerry:~# apt-get install ffmpeg
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> >   gvidcap: Depends: libavcodec1 (>= 1:0.4.8) but it is not going to be installed
> > E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
>
> Running this command should have installed libavcodec1 automatically I
> think, but if you install it manually first and then install ffmpeg,
> you should be good.

I could see absolutely no sign of my posted reply to you, Andy, either on
the website or in my email client, and only now realise that I must have sent
it to your personal email address by mistake, as I see you've quoted from it ...
I'm afraid I'm only just getting used to Mutt, so please forgive me ^^

I can't thank you enough, Andy, for giving me the confidence to continue!
As you see below, I have now installed both libavcodec1 and ffmpeg:

frances@jerry:~$ su -
Password:
jerry:~# apt-get install libavcodec1
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libavcodec1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 814kB of archives.
After unpacking 2290kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.nerim.net etch/main libavcodec1 1:0.4.8-0.5 [814kB]
Fetched 814kB in 14s (56.0kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libavcodec1.
(Reading database ... 112517 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libavcodec1 (from .../libavcodec1_1%3a0.4.8-0.5_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libavcodec1 (0.4.8-0.5) ...

Setting up gvidcap (1.1.3-p7) ...
jerry:~# apt-get install ffmpeg
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  ffmpeg
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
Need to get 4087kB of archives.
After unpacking 10.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org sarge/main ffmpeg 0.cvs20050313-2 [4087kB]
Fetched 4087kB in 1m8s (59.5kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package ffmpeg.
(Reading database ... 112532 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ffmpeg (from .../ffmpeg_0.cvs20050313-2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up ffmpeg (0.cvs20050313-2) ...
jerry:~#

I just rechecked xvidcap/gvidcap to be on the safe side:

jerry:~# apt-cache search xvidcap
jerry:~# apt-cache search gvidcap
gvidcap - Screen video capture for X
jerry:~# apt-get install gvidcap
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
gvidcap is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
jerry:~#

I couldn't see either gvidcap or ffmpeg in any of the menu items under the
graphical K-Start button, so I tried running xvidcap from the command line:

jerry:~# logout
frances@jerry:~$ xvidcap
bash: xvidcap: command not found
frances@jerry:~$ gvidcap
Segmentation fault
frances@jerry:~$ gvidcap &
[1] 1693
frances@jerry:~$
[1]+  Segmentation fault      gvidcap
frances@jerry:~$

I was overjoyed when gvidcap launched :-) looking just like the two
instructional videos from the xvidcap home site.
But then it faulted :-( as soon as I clicked the red record button.

Noting the "g" in gvidcap, I logged out of KDE and into Gnome, but
with the same result:

frances@jerry:~$ gvidcap &
[1] 1929
frances@jerry:~$
[1]+  Segmentation fault      gvidcap
frances@jerry:~$

I have never had a segmentation fault before, and as a newbie ;) I
haven't a  clue what to do. Even after googling took me to:
http://cs-www.bu.edu/help/unix/segmentation_fault.html

Please could I ask for assistance again?

FaY