Desktop icons for removable media in Gnome

I have a problem with desktop icons for removable media.
If I connect f.ex. my MP3 player hal recognizes it and gnome-volume-manager mounts it and opens it up in Nautilus (as set in the settings). The volume is /media/MUVO^2 But no icon appears on the desktop. But if I open the "computer" icon and click on Cd-rom, it will complain that it can't mount the volume (no media). Now when clicking OK the desktop icon for my MP3 player appears.
The same happens for my camera.

I'm running Sarge.

$ uname -a
Linux perseus 2.6.11-1-k7 #1 Mon Jun 20 21:26:23 MDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

The relevant packages (I think):
gnome 2.8.3-2
nautilus 2.8.2-2
hal   0.4.8-3