Re: Booting 2.6.8 on x686 Sarge without initrd: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

KokHow Teh wrote:

Hi;
     I am building 2.6.8 kernel source on my x686 Sarge system wihtout
using initrd. The kernel-patch.2.6.8 only applies to the prebuilt

2.6.8_2

kernel package and not a prestine kernel. So, I am not using initrd for

my

2.6.8 kernel build. The system boots up but cannot mount teh root fs.

What

am I missing?
     Any advice and insight is appreciated.

Regards,
TEH

If your not using initrd make sure the driver for the root filesystem is
compiled into the kernel 'y' as opposed to as a module 'm'.

Does this refer to both the ATA/ATAPI/SCSI harddisk driver and/or the
EXT2/3 driver..?

Yes, if you want DMA enabled.

Wackojacko