Re: Setting up a File Server

White-Hat` (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

I wanted to set up a file server using Samba--I thought the idea of creating a small, home network using my old box's would be sort of neat. I'd hate to see them go to waste anyway. I'm pretty new to networking on Linux also, so feel free to give me any and all pointers towards any related subjects, not exluding security and telling me how stupid I am for doing something a certain way.

I installed the base Debian, along with the file server packages. Then I went ahead and downloaded X and fluxbox for a light GUI, since it is an older machine.

Which you might not want, since this is a "file server" rather than a workstation. You don't need X for a simple file server, and the additional packages just introduces complexity that increases the risk of a vulnerability/hole showing up in your server, not to mention the extra drive space it takes.

I tinkered with the samba configuration file, putting in some options that another online site said I should. http://www.aboutdebian.com/lan.htm is the site if you're wondering (and by the way, the conf file looked nothing like the one listed there).

Now my question is.. What next? What do I need to do to make sure it will correctly connect to the network?

Do you mean the computer is not on the network? Or do you mean how do you make sure that the Samba setup is working?

If the former, your NIC was probably recognized automagically. You may need to edit "/etc/networking/interfaces" to set up dhcp or static addressing; then you can (re)start networking with "/etc/init.d/networking [re]start".

This is probably unnecessary, as all this was probably done for you during the installation. Just ping something, or fire up a web browser, to see if you're seeing the network.

What files should I edit? Any tips and pointers are definitely welcome. I would also like to know how to make SSH the default everything. Meaning, I want it required in order for someone to FTP to the box.

"aptitude install ssh" for starters. ssh is, of course, not ftp. Don't install any ftp servers. Once ssh is installed, you can use sftp to "ftp" in.

Hell,