cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub?

Hey all,

Lately I've been getting the error mentioned in the subject when I try
to compile stuff. I've never had something similar before. Googling it
suggests silly stuff such as /bin/sh not being there; a search on this
list doesn't bring up anything, either.

There's nothing modified from defaults, as far as the auto-stuff is
concerned.

/etc/alternatives/automake: symbolic link to `/usr/bin/automake-1.4'
/etc/alternatives/aclocal: symbolic link to `/usr/bin/aclocal-1.4'

Just as an example, I tried to rebuild E17 a couple of minutes ago; it
ended like:

[00:53 tom ~/Bin/src/e17/libs/eet] ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/tom/Bin
Running aclocal...
Running autoheader...
Running autoconf...
Running libtoolize...
Running automake...
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub

Sorry if I provide way too little information. I wouldn't know what else
to mention...

Cheers, and thanks for any help,
Tom

--
"Es bückt sich der Mann, um durch das Tor in das Innere zu sehen."
 ---                                (Franz Kafka, Vor dem Gesetz)