advances partition selection bug in some 2.6 kernels?

I recently installed Debian (Sid) on a laptop and compiled kernel 2.6.14
from kernel.org. The kernel would not recognize my partition scheme
(created with the debian installer). It took me a while until I found
someone else in a forum who had solved the same problem by not compiling
into the kernel the "Advance partition Selection" option. In his case,
he was dealing with a 2.6.4 kernel.

The problem showed as :

hda: unknown partition table
followed by the infamous VFS cannot mount root

I'm just putting this here in case anyone runs into  a similar problem.

martin