backbone of a large-file streaming system

Hi,
I help maintain a Web site at www.clusterbuilder.org.   You might have seen before that I have a section called Ask the Cluster Expert, where I am building a knowledgebase of cluster and grid information.  When someone asks a question I am researching the answer to build this knowledgebase out.  I received the following question:

"I am looking for a variety of solutions to be a backbone of a large-file streaming system providing thousands of concurrent download streams. Preferably commodity hardware and Linux, though I'm open to commercial solutions."

I am wondering if anyone here has suggestions of what applications will work best for this type of setup. You can respond to the question at www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ
or respond in email.

Thanks,
Nick