Re: Network Interfaces Not Initialized On Boot

On 11/7/05, mikepolniak <mikpolniak@adelphia.net> wrote:
On 16:40 Sun 06 Nov     , Cloaked Hunter wrote:
> I'm running the testing release of Debian. I recently updated my Debian
> packages, and I also built and installed a new 2.6.14 kernel. Now,
> regardless of what kernel I boot, none of my network interfaces will
> initialize during boot, not even the loopback interface. If I manually
> start them using ifup -a, everything works perfectly, but I cannot
> identify what is preventing them from initializing automatically during
> boot. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Check if you still have a /etc/network/options file. That has been
deprecated. If you remove or rename that file, networking should start again.

That didn't work for me (I was having the same problem, but on a laptop).  I had to edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts so:

# Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface
#    start_fn () { return; }
    start_fn () { ifup $1; }
# Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface
#    stop_fn () { return; }

Those lines appear at the end of the file.

Patrick