Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 11:49 +0000, Yuriy Kuznetsov wrote:
> There's lots of improvements in Solaris that make it faster than
> linux (eg. we completely *smoke* linux in terms of TCP/IP performance)
> but also a few places where linux appears much faster, esp. filesystem
> operations. Usually that's because linux has fairly intensive disk
> caching turned on by default (so despite the fact that commands that
> write to disk finish much quicker, often the data isn't actually written
> to disk ! So if you have a power outage just after one of these commands
> has finished, on Solaris your disk will be in a consistent state (and
> the , whereas on linux you're screwed...)
>
> - it's not always about performance, reliability also comes into it.

This is quite amusing, and a bit sad..

Back when VAX/VMS was king, and Sun was the snot-nosed new kid on
the block, these *exact* same arguments were going on.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Have you ever thought about just turning off the TV, sitting
down with your kids, and hitting them?"
Unknown