Re: Suspend to disk

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:54:49PM -0500, Antonio Paiva wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm currently using Debian testing (started with Sarge and upgraded to
> Etch), and I would like to know if anyone was able to reliably suspend
> its computer to disk. If so, could you tell me how?
I just got suspending to acpi state "disk" (which is also known as swsusp /
pmdisk and now in migration to suspend2) working with Linux 2.6.12.6 and
2.6.14-git10.

Short Howto:
a) compile your kernel with
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_PM_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION="/dev/hda5"
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y

(not all acpi stuff needed but usefull)

b) Install the package "hibernate"
(I installed the sid package on my sarge installation and recommend
to do the same)

c) configure hibernate to use the acpi "disk" sleep state
(take a look at the configuration file in /etc/hibernate/)

d) first try without X running
(just execute /usr/sbin/hibernate as root)

e) try the same with X

f) create a sleep button event and configure it to execute
hibernate (done via acpid)

Happy suspending!

Side notes1: You may want to try out the suspend2 patch from
www.suspend2.net. The Wiki and FAQ is usefull anyway.

Side notes2: I had problems to get it working with vanilla
Linux 2.6.14 with and without the suspend2 patch.

Side notes3: Best is to turn preempt and apic off.

Side notes4: With Linux 2.6.13/14 pcmcia is not working here. See
the other thread.

Side notes5: Linux 2.6.12.6 with preempt and apic off seems to work quite
good on my (old) Sony Vaio FX-202.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak