Re: Icon zooming disappeared?

Ryan Schultz said...
> On Friday 04 November 2005 05:46 am, marc wrote:
> > After applying the testing update to KDE 3.4, a large number of my
> > settings have been trounced. Most I've been able to recover, but I
> > cannot find the icon zooming feature when hovering over icons in the
> > taskbar (panel/kicker). Instead it has been ousted by a truly horrible
> > enormous "tooltip" that tautologically replicates the original icon.
> > Ugh!
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any idea where its been hidden. Thanks.
>
> Icon zooming has been removed from KDE. A quote from the blog of Aaron Seigo,
> the current kicker coder: "now, i'd really like to simply `rm -rf` the
> transparency support in kicker 3.5 and tell people to deal with it until
> there is proper support in X and Qt for these things. really, i would. but my
> survival instincts tell me that i'd prefer to live a few more years rather
> than be lynched by the hordes of users who just can't live without such
> important things as a kicker that paints the same background as the desktop.
> this from the guy who removed icon zooming."
>
> So now we get the huge tooltip. *shrug*

I found the thread where he "discusses" the removal. Truly scary stuff.

Is there a workable alternative to Kicker? Primarily, I feel
uncomfortable running this guy's code, but, in addition, clearly, he
will make further unilateral decisions in the future, and I'd rather
move away before he causes further disruption.

--
Best,
Marc