Re: 2.6.14 Problems (was Re: sarge: 2.6.14 kernel panics on boot)

On 21:56 Sun 06 Nov     , Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 06 November 2005 19:32,
> > debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> >> Thats because devfs is creating the nodes in kernels < 2.6.14.
> >> With 2.6.14 DEVFS is no longer supported in the kernel, so you have
> >> to use another method to create device nodes like udev (the new way)
> >> or MAKEDEV( the old way, before devfs).
> >
> > Could this be why alsa audio is not working in this kernel?
> >
> > For those having trouble booting, my advice: Make your own initrd using
> > the old and trusty mkinitrd rather than the new yaird stuff.
>
> If you build your own kernel, there is rarely a reason to use an initrd. And
> if you don't use one, you don't have problems with it.

I agree, unless you administer many pc's with different file systems and
disk contollers you don't need initrd.img to load modules for you. Just
make sure to compile your root filesystem and disk controller into your
kernel and boot away.

As for alsa, i have had no problems with it using lernel-2.6.14. And i
even tested yaird to make an initrd, with no problems. YMMV.