Re: Network Stress Testing

Nelson Castillo wrote:
Hi,

I want to debug several ethernet links between
PCs in the same subnet.

Which tools should I use?
What should I read about TCP/UDP stress testing?

nttcp is good for simple tests, especially for testing raw throughput.

You will want to watch your error counts with ifconfig or equivalent
tool.

For system-level stress testing I use NFS and simple test scripts, e.g.
copying then comparing a DVD over NFS, possibly with background stress
tests running.

Autonegotiation testing is often overlooked, and is a common source of
compatibility problems.  This takes a lot of patience and time, and
preferably a large variety of NICs, hubs and switches.

If you compile your own kernels, you can often turn on various useful
debugging options in your ethernet drivers.

For server stress testing netperf was once an industry standard,
but it may be overkill, and I don't recall whether the Debian
version supports real clients or is just a simulation.