Re: (OT) Beginner's Linux book recommendation

* [KS] <lists04@fastmail.fm> [2005 Oct 31 10:15 -0600]:

> He wants a "user oriented" book rather than one focusing on
> administration. Also I think it should be a general one rather than for
> a specific distribution.

Perhaps a trip to the bookstore and checking out some titles might be
in order.  I would think that Running Linux
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runux4/ (there is a fifth edition due in
December) would be about as generic of a guide as any.

You may also wish to direct him to the Linux Documentation Project
http://www.tldp.org/ where a number of guides are available including
"Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide" and "The Linux System
Administrators' Guide" which should help.  Please note that these
aren't SuSE specific but are general information texts.  In fact,
they would probably be quite useful for Slackware. ;^)

HTH,

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of