Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

On 10/31/05, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> wrote:
> * Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> [2005 Oct 29 11:04 -0500]:
>
> >   disc burner [ k3b ]
> >   e-mail client [ Mutt ]
> >   file manager [ Midnight Commander ]
> >   terminal emulator [ Xterm, RXVT, Konsole ]
> >   text editor [ FTE ]
> >   video player [ VLC Player ]
>
> When I first read the title to the thread, I was thinking my answer
> would be the free packets my dentist provides...  ;-)  Perhaps you
> meant F/OS Software?
>
> I am really passionate about my choice of text editor.  I love FTE and
> it's my default.  I cannot stand vi/vim and Emacs drives me nuts.  FTE
> operates the way I am used to.

I never hear of this one (FTE) before and I just have to check it out.

> For DVD playing I found VLC Player to work perfectly while mplayer
> couldn't get the sound and video synced.  Plus VLC Player supports the
> DVD menus.  I've never found Xine to be usable (maybe I'm just to old
> to cope with "cool" skins).
>
> Midnight Commander is simply the best system administration tool
> available.  I've used it for nine years and I haven't found anything
> better.

I wanted to try it out but found it a bit awkward for considering I
grew up in GUI stuff like Windows Explorer and Nautilus... It takes a
lot of getting used to, just like Emacs and vi. So  I gave up.

> BTW, the Popularity Contest package tracks your usage of various apps
> and is intended (I believe) to give the release team an idea of what is
> most used.

Popularity Contest would be even better if it didn't list 'required'
and 'standard' pacakges to judge true popularity. How does one call
'dpkg' or 'apt' popular when one doesn't really have a choice --- it's
a dedian system after all.