Re: sarge: 2.6.14 kernel panics on boot

On 23:43 Sat 05 Nov     , Alex Teclo wrote:
> I am having problems with a 2.6.14 kernel.
>
><><><><><snip><><><><>
> Here is the entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst on machine A:
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.14
> root           (hd0,4)
> kernel        /vmlinuz- 2.6.14 root=/dev/ataraid/d0p7 ro
> initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.14
> savedefault
> boot
>
> But, when I boot machine A with this 2.6.14 kernel, I get:
>
> RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: Loading 2144 KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
> umount: devfs: not mounted
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'devfs'
> umount: devfs: not mounted
> pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

You need to create the /dev/console file. Use a rescue disk and run:
mknod -m 660 /dev/console c 5 1

When you reboot, i would install udev to create your device nodes.

> You're gonna say "Well, just remove devfs from the kernel, you don't need it".
> But in 2.6.14 there is no devfs, it's completely gone. "make config"
> never asks you about devfs.
>
> This problem is very puzzling: how can two machines with very same
> software configuration yield so different results ?
> Regarding the kernel compilation, I tried building the kernel both
> with make-kpkg and the "handmade" way, it does not solve the problem.
>
> Perhaps is it an hardware problem.
> Machine A has a ATA/RAID controller while machine B has a normal IDE
> controller. But:
> 1) I did include the required ATA/RAID drivers in the 2.6.14 kernel,
> both on machine A and machine B. Again, it's the very same kernel:
> machine B doesn't need the ATA/RAID driver, but it doesn't hurt if
> it's present.
> 2) If you look at the boot process on machine A, you can see "VFS:
> Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly. initrd-tools: 0.1.81.1".
> This means machine A is able to mount its root filesystem and its
> initrd image.
>
> Last thing: I don't know if it's related, but when I install the
> kernel on machine A with "dpkg -i
> kernel-image-2.6.14_10.00.Custom_i386.deb", I get the following error
> message:
>
> Setting up kernel-image-2.6.14 (10.00.Custom) ...
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
> FATAL: Module hptraid not found.
> FATAL: Module pdcraid not found.
> WARNING: This failure MAY indicate that your kernel will not boot!
> but it can also be triggered by needed modules being compiled into
> the kernel.

I assume you built the raid drivers into the kernel not as modules.
So they should work. If you have all the drivers your hardware needs
compiled into the kernel or as kernel modules, you don't need to use the
initrd.img to load modules. You can just delete the initrd line from grub.

Using initrd.img is usefull when its necessary to boot onto many
different pc's with a large variety filesystems and drive controllers
and you don't want all these built into the kernel.