Re: What to do with attackers?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005, Thomas wrote:
> recently, i can see ofthen brute force attacks in my ssh logfile.
> A friend of mine, who has the same ISP gets the same bruteforce attacks.
>
> What would be an adequate reaction to repeated ssh bruteforce attacks?

Once I tried to do something about it, just because I had nothing better to
do.

I used whois, found the abuse contact of the relevant domain owners and
their upstream providers, and emailed them the logs, requesting that they
inspect why a machine of theirs was trying to attack one of mine.

Out of the three reports I sent:

  One was replied to in 5 minutes(!), the attacker had been immediately
  unplugged, and the machine would be investigated.

  One was replied to within 3 hours, the attack was being investigated
  (and I wasn't being proped by them anymore, so I suppose they took it
  offline as well).

  One was replied to within 1 day, the server had been reinstalled from
  scratch and they thanked me about the report.

So I got proper replies for 100% of the reports I sent, and three zoombies
were put to rest.   It is something nice to do if you feel bored.

  Henrique Holschuh