Re: Calling on Toshiba users

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:49:08PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On November 4, 2005 03:42 pm, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > [I am not on -laptop, so please CC me when replying from that list]
>
> > I maintain the Debian package for toshutils.  I have prepared a new
> > version for upload.  However, there are some changes to allow it to
> > compile with gcc-4.0 (the current version was released upstream in the
> > latter half of 2001).  I would like for some adventerous Toshiba laptop
> > users out there to download the packages and provide some feedback.  If
> > the response is positive, I will submit the package for upload.
>
> What Toshiba laptops does this work with?
>
> I have sid installed on a Toshiba Satellite A60, and so far, none of the
> Toshiba extras packages I've tried work with it, including the various
> option in the Linux kernel itself.
>
> If this laptop is supposed to be supported by the package, than I can try
> it over the weekend.

Good point.  I should have explained better.

The toshutils package, due primarily to its age, works only with APM
enabled and not ACPI.  You need the toshiba (i.e., not toshiba_acpi)
module loaded, or compiled into your kernel.  It should work with
standard dev, udev or devfs setups.  So, as long as your laptop supports
APM and you are using APM and not ACPI it should work.  For example, I
am have a Satellite 2805-S401 which supports both APM and ACPI.  In my
case I normally use ACPI and reboot with 'acpi=off apm=on' on the kernel
command line when I need to go back to APM to test something (like
toshutils).

If you are using ACPI (which is the only thing support by newer models),
then consider the toshset package, which I also maintain.  Basically
with that, all you need is toshiba_acpi support (modular or static).

The main difference between toshutils and toshset is that toshutils is a
collection of different applications, including GUI tools.  On the other
hand, toshet is just one cli application that gives access to the
various Toshiba hardware interfaces by setting different switches on the
command line.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez