Re: ATA 80GB disk recommendation

Quoting Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>:

Hi,

If you have an 80GB ATA disk that you think is terrific, could you post it?

Checking http://www.storagereview.com/ is not conclusive regarding MTTF.

My current Maxtor 6Y080P0 is a year and a half old, doing good.
My SAMSUNG SP0802N is 6 months old and failing.

Thanks!

Funny you should ask...

I just had my desktop's Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 die on me the other day. :(

Since it was about two months old, I'm still trying to figure out what went
wrong.

Maybe it was foolish and maybe I'll regret it but I did buy another Maxtor
(80gig 6l080P0 ATA/133).

I purchased the new drive from newegg.com; great price and extremely fast
delivery.

I didn't buy a larger capacity drive because I don't have a need for a lot of
storage on my desktop and the price was right = cheap!
(w/ a dvd burner... who needs more drive space on a desktop?).

Sid installed quickly and smoothly onto the new drive (it's always fun to
install Debian).

Going on one and a half days running - so far so good. :)

k l u r t