nmap build-depends on libpcap-dev causing problems - is this a bug?

I'm having problems building nmap and xprobe from source because of build-depends on libpcap-dev.

I'm running sarge on i386 and have libpcap0.8-dev installed, which allows both nmap and xprobe to build without error if I use "dpkg-buildpackage -d" to override the dependency check.

If I try to install libpcap-dev, it removes libpcap0.8-dev and installs libpcap0.7-dev - effectively downgrading the libpcap development libraries.  I don't want to do this, because everything compiles fine with 0.8, so I see no reason to downgrade to 0.7.

The reason for the downgrade is that libpcap-dev depends on libpcap0.7-dev, but libpcap0.8-dev does not satisfy this dependency.

Is this a bug?  If so, which package is in error - nmap for specifying libpcap-dev, or libpcap-dev for not allowing libpcap0.8-dev to meet the dependency?

I also note that the notes for libpcap-dev say that it is a "Empty package to facilitate upgrades, can be safely removed", so I guess this means that other packages shouldn't have depends against it.

Roy