Re: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

James Vahn <jvahn@short.circuit.com> writes:

> >        Enabled Supported: * NOP cmd * READ BUFFER cmd * WRITE BUFFER
> >cmd * Host Protected Area feature set * Look-ahead Write cache *
> >Power Management feature set Security Mode feature set SMART feature
> >set
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Disabled. Turn SMART on in your
> BIOS and run the selftest via smartctl.

I can't turn it on in bios... There is no such option! It's a laptop -
hp pavilion zv5260.

I found a menu HDD SELF-test with 2 options, I tried them both.
1) Execute SHORT test. Estimated test time: 2 minutes.
        Test status: PASSED.
2) Execute LONG test. Estimated test time: 75 minutes.
        Test status: PASSED.

Both tests were successful and didn't result in any errors.

My filesystem is ext3 (journalling).
/dev/hda1 - 2Gb - swap
/dev/hda2 - 7Gb - /
/dev/hda3 - 70Gb - /home

I decided to reinstall debian, installing ext3, because I thought may be
the file system was corrupted. But I didn't touch /dev/hda3, because I
had some files there that I didn't have time to backup. So I installed
debian from netinst cd image, formatting /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 again.
It installed without problems. Then I created a folder on /dev/hda2 and
copied my files from /dev/hda3 to this folder. Then I ran:

# umount /dev/hda3

# mke2fs -c -j -v /dev/hda3

It started creating the ext3 filesystem checking also for bad sectors
(-c switch) there and it proceeded up to around 10%. After that it
started giving the same opcode errors (uncorrectable) on each
consecutive sector. After 40 minutes of these errors I turned it off.
After I rebooted I tried:

# mke2fs -j -v /dev/hda3

without checking for bad sectors and it succeeded creating a filesystem.
But I don't think I should use it, though.

So what should I do now? And what do these errors mean? Are these errors
from the bad sectors? Then why mke2fs wasn't marking them ? Should I run
mke2fs with -c check and leave for night to finish checking for bad
sectors ? Or should I check it with another program 'badsectors'? I will
leave one of them working for night, so that they will have time to
finish and report the results in the morning...

/dev/hda2 - root filesystem works fine. From 7Gb I used already 6.5Gb
and I got no single error. The errors are only from /dev/hda3.

Is this hard drive dying? Or the problem can be solved? Should I start
browsing the internet for a new hard drive already?

--
"Most writers regard the truth as their most valuable possession, and
therefore are most economical in its use."