Re: mailserver absolute noob question

Thomas schreef:
Thomas wrote:

Marco van Putten wrote:

Thomas schreef:

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Hi there.

I would like to setup a mailserver on my debian machine that can
receive email from any host and that can be accessed by imap or pop3
(imap would be nice). I have seen some howtos on the net but they
seemed way too complicated. The howtos i saw included spamfilters,
anitivr software and page after page of config file hacking.

What i am really looking for is a simple mailserver that i can install
by apt-get something and then configure by a gui/web interface (if
necessary at all). Then connect to it with my thunderbird and lets go.

So far, exim4 was installed on my sarge by default, although i dont
know what that means.
If i startup mutt with any user, it says 'no mailbox'.
This didnt ever disturb me, but now i should think of what that means...

Thanks for hints,

Thomas

I wrote the following howto:
http://ithacafreesoftware.org/Members/mitch/notebook/debian/mailserver

It includes a very basic setup of Postfix (SMTP), Dovecot (pop and
Imap), and Squirrelmail (Web e-mail).

Good luck.

Hi Mitch,
your howto was helpful, still there is a problem left.

I can receive mail from the internet.
I can send and receive mail from and to local users.
I can NOT send mail to other hosts on the internet.

Here my /etc/postfix/main.cf:

biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

myhostname = ares.dyndns.biz
mydomain = dyndns.biz
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, ares.dyndns.biz
#relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
net_interfaces = all

I do login as local username@ares.dyndns.biz via imap.
If i want to send mail to a username@gmx.net or similar i get the message from the email client: "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: <username@gmx.net>: Relay access denied. Please verify that your email ddress is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.". Well, of course, the email address in my preferences is username@ares.dyndns.biz which should be correct.

What is problem here? Does the mailserver @gmx refuse my mail because the domain is dyndns.biz, which is not to be trusted?
Is there a problem with my config?
I dont know.

By the way i dint understand step 4 in the Howto:

4. Add a valid root alias to /etc/postfix/aliases

There is no /etc/postfix/aliases on my sarge nor do i know what a valid root alias is. Well, i dont think this is the problem why i cant send out email, is it?

Thank you,

Thomas

Hey Thomas,

You have to add ares.dyndns.biz to mynetworks
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, ares.dyndns.biz

The alias file is in /etc/aliases. By a valid root alias they mean an adress wich resolvs to a mailbox which is read by an actual person. After editing /etc/aliases you have to run the command newaliases to activate the new alias.

Good luck,
Marco.

I edited the line
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, ares.dyndns.biz

and then restarted postfix.

Still, i get the same error message: Relay access denied.
At this point i still dont understand who is denying the relay: my own mailserver (ares) or the target mailserver (gmx.net). Is there a logfile or something that can tell me who is actually denying what?

Thanks,
Thomas

Aha, i found out:

mail.log
Nov 2 23:26:50 localhost postfix/smtpd[14343]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from nova[10.0.0.2]: 554 <thomas-nawrath@web.de>: Relay access denied; from=<jade@ares.dyndns.biz> to=<thomas-nawrath@web.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<[10.0.0.2]>

And mail.info

Nov 2 23:30:38 localhost postfix/smtpd[14400]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from nova[10.0.0.2]: 554 <thomas-nawrath@web.de>: Relay access denied; from=<jade@ares.dyndns.biz> to=<thomas-nawrath@web.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<[10.0.0.2]>

So i thought, maybe the proble is because im trying to send from a client in the LAN with a local network address 10.x.x.x Thus i opened up an email app on the mailserver itself. But i stell get the same: Nov 2 23:39:17 localhost postfix/smtpd[14487]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from c217074.adsl.hansenet.de[213.39.217.74]: 554 <thomas-nawrath@web.de>: Relay access denied; from=<jade@ares.dyndns.biz> to=<thomas-nawrath@web.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<c217074.adsl.hansenet.de>

:-(

why is that?

"mydomain = dyndns.biz" probably has to be "mydomain = ares.dyndns.biz" as well.

Restart postfix.
On the mailserver try:

telnet localhost 25
helo localhost