Re: renamed interfaces or ifrename confuse other programs

Jörg Schütter said...
> Hi
>
> I'm using ifrename to give my network interfaces other names
> (lan, wlan and testlan). Unfortunately this confuses a few
> network-tools, eg iptraff and netmon-applet.
> What would be the right way to solve the problems?
> - open a bug report for every program (#335882)
> - open a bug report against ifrename for adding informations
>   regarding this problems
> - let all interface names start with eth_ in hope the
>   applications will be able to use this interfaces again (not
>   tested)
> - ...

I found similar problems with ifrename, so decided to jump to using udev
rules. Here's an outline of the process.

The udev scripts reside here:
/etc/udev/rules.d/
and are actioned in lexical order. So, create a script that will run
first, say:
010_local.rules

Add lines for each interface like:
KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="00:43:7a:e5:64:87", NAME="lan"

After you add rules, they must be made known to udev by:
# udevstart

A reboot will be necessary for network cards, because the drivers need
to be reloaded.

--
Best,
Marc