Re: Running slower after raid0

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 20:31 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Sure you will.  If you are dealing with large bits of data,
> > writing to it will be N times faster because the computer writes
> > chunks of data to the disks in parallel.
>
> yup.. if you read/write data from the the 2 spindles
>
> can the ide drivers be told to write the 1K byte file by splitting it
> into 2x 512byte files write each onto the 2 different spindles is the
> trick :-)

That's why I qualified my statement with "large bits of data".

> 	same for 100GB files .. to split it into 2x 50GB each
> 	on each spindle
>
> should be a fun driver to write(if needed), config and test

Doesn't the md driver do that?  It should.  HW RAID controllers
do it, so it can't be that difficult.  If your chunk size is
512KB, and your file size is 100MB (102400KB), then the file gets
divvied up into 200 sections.  You "just" wait until enough of
the data is in the cache, and then "parallel round-robin" the reads
or writes.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

NAMBLA - Nat'l Assoc of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes (Yes, it's a
South Park reference.)