Re: Sid, problems with 2.6.14

Adam Mercer said...
> On 31/10/05, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
> > Curt Howland said...
> > > Hi, yall. I pulled down 2.6.14 yesterday with the usual topping off of
> > > the tank, as it were, and tried it out today.
> > >
> > > LILO puts up the usual "......" for loading, then bam, black screen.
> > > There's some disk access for about 10 seconds, then nothing and the
> > > CPU fan starts spinning up like it's utilizing 100%.
> > >
> > > I do have the Knoppix sourced "vga=791" for a decent console screen,
> > > but that's worked since kernel 2.2.x.
> >
> > Try removing that command for a single boot to see whether it is the
> > problem.
> >
> > If so, set the following kernel option to to y instead of m
> >
> > # Device drivers/Graphics support/Console display driver
> > support/Framebuffer Console Support
> >
> > This is a common change when using vanilla kernels and vga=blah.
>
> This is not with a vanilla kernel, but with 2.6.14-1 from sid

Yes, I know. The dds do something with the module affected by that
config parm that allows the likes of "vga=791" to work when set to m.
This being sid, perhaps they've not done their magic yet.

To use this feature with a vanilla kernel, the aforementioned parm must
be set to y. I don't know why this parm is not set to y for a Debian
kernel config file.

This might not be the problem, I intended it to assist the diagnosis.

--
Best,
Marc