Re: Does increasing RAM 512 MB -> 1 GB lead to better performance?

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:19 -0500, Robert Glueck wrote:
> I'm thinking of upgrading my i686 system (Intel Celeron, 1.8
> GHz) from 512 MB RAM to 1GB (it uses PC133 SDRAM DIMM
> modules).  I'm assuming this upgrade will give me better
> speed and performance.

Do you hit swap on a regular basis?

How often do you deal with large data sets?

Is the disk activity on a lot?

You'll get the most benefit from the extra RAM if you answer "Yes"
to any of those questions.  Even if you answer no to those questions,
you'll still see some benefit.

[snip]
> Another question:  If I increase RAM to 1 GB, should I also
> increase the size of the swap partition (currently 0.5 GB)
> and how much?

Use a swap file.  "man mkswap" has an example of how to make a
swapfile.  Then format it, and add a line to your /etc/fstab :

/swap/swap001.swap  none swap sw   0   0

Before kernel 2.6, swap files had a big performance hit, but now
are almost the same as partitions.  And much more flexible.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I for one welcome our cross-platform word-processing overlords."
Jeremy, on http://linuxtoday.com regarding StarOffice