Re: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
> JV> That's what you get when you buy things on sale... ;-)
>
> You mean the harddrive is dying?

No, probably not. You can install smartmontools to keep an eye on it
though. Cheap electronics just cause problems and it sounds like you
are suffering from one. :(

> I restarted laptop several times and I don't get these errors anymore.
> But still it gets very slow sometimes and I am not doing anything.

If you run dmesg, you'll probably see that it is resetting. The trick is
to find out why, and it's going to be specific to your laptop. Chipset
and harddrive -- the hardware.  You can clear the dmesg buffer with
"dmesg -c" to keep the clutter out.

> System monitor though shows 100% cpu usage, but when I open it to look
> what programs use it - it opens very very slow, but when it's opened, it
> shows the same programs using several percent of the cpu.

They might be waiting on the drive, but it sounds like something else is
going on. Htop is more useful than top for this, and fuser might help
too. Even a kernel can conflict with hardware.

>> Try turning the write-cache off: hdparm -W0 /dev/hda
>
> Tried that and didn't see any difference...
> It's really annoying...

It was a stab in the dark. "hdparm /dev/hda", "hdparm -I /dev/hda". You
can test performance of any changes you make with "hdparm -tT /dev/hda".
With the -c4 setting of klogd, you will see the messages with dmesg.

Hdparm is a hard drive configuration tool. Smartd is a health tool:
smartctl -t long /dev/hda
smartctl -H /dev/hda -l selftest
smartctl -H /dev/hda

Most likely you will find your solution in hdparm, but be aware that
there are warnings in the manpage about causing damage. I'm sorry that I
have no specific answer, maybe try google for your drive and "hdparm"?