Playing a dvd movie when installed

Under Desktop -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media Preferences
-> Multimedia I have /usr/bin/totem dvd: set to play when a dvd is
inserted. I always have to start totem manually. Where do I need to look
to get this working correctly? I am running Debian Etch with vanilla
kernel 2.6.12 on an x86 system. Current with all program updates. I am
also having problems with anything other than an audio cd getting
recognized correctly (blank or used cd/dvd r/rw). Ideas?

TIA,

Jim Seymour

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM advertised
OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from OS/2 v4 to Linux.