Re: HP Web Jetadmin

Marc Wilson wrote:

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 12:38:02PM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
Has anyone successfully installed the current version of HP Web Jetadmin on Debian

Yes, it's not like it was a big deal.

- and set up a printer under Cups?

Unfortunately.

But I can't create a print queue - it's looking for some other
redhat/suse stuff.

Why're you trying to use JetAdmin to create print queues?  Use JetAdmin for
what it's good at (administering JetDrects), and add printers in CUPS using
the normal interface.

Perhaps it's my misunderstanding - but I thought the jetadmin service would act as a "print server" - so it would provide the connectivity to CUPS and the rest of the network. I know that CUPS can connect directly - using the hpdirect protocol - but I thought I'd get better results the other way. I've been having intermittent lockup/timing issues with CUPS - both when locally connected via parallel and via network - and I was hoping jetadmin would help that.

BTW - the printer I'm using is a 2500CM. I never had any issues when directly connected to a <gasp> Windows unit - so I'm assuming this is somehow a CUPS issue. None of my other CUPS printers are showing problems like this one is.

--
Daniel