Re: Finding old versions

On Oct 31 2005, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> However, I bet I have lots of woody-era, even potato perhaps, software
> on that old disk, and I only know how I can get rid of libraries that
> nothing depends on (deborphan/orphaner).

Yes, both deborphan and debfoster are really nice with this.

As is aptitude, but for it to work well, you'll have to tell it what are
the packages that were automatically installed as dependencies (one way
to do that is to call aptitude on the command line--without any
parameters--and then mark each automatically installed package with
'M').

> Presumably, I don't need gcc-2.95 or gcc-3.0 anymore, for example.

Well, that depends on the packages that you still need, but, sure, if
you upgrade everything to its current version (say, at least to woody),
then I'd say that you could get rid of that.

> Is there any way I can list this kind of old packages?

One way is to look at the packages that are listed by aptitude on the
"Obsolete and Locally Installed Packages" or to use apt-show-versions.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/